Posts from — August 2012
Last week, a lovely woman from Iowa by the name of Eileen Gannon won a contest sponsored by Seattle’s Best Coffee with a drink she named “How to Win a Guy in One Sip”. For her efforts, she pocketed a cool $10K. Ka-Pow!
Her submission was a pumpkin pie spiced and bacon flavored cup of awesomeness! Sounds good, right? Well, if you have a “participating” Seattle’s Best Coffee near you, you’ll get a change to try it. Can’t wait, you can get her recipe over on Seattle’s Best Coffee’s facespace page (you’ll need to like it, just a heads up).
Well play Eileen, well played!
via NY Daily News
August 30, 2012 No Comments
Seriously, can you say yum?!? I do believe I know the menu for the next family brunch at the Baird compound / TDB World Headquarters…
Maple Syrup, Bacon and Blueberry Bread Pudding
- 5 cups (600 g) stale French bread (6-8 thick slices) cut in 1.5-in. cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) bacon (15-20 slices)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 ml) half & half 10% cream
- ? cup (75 ml) maple syrup
- ? cup (160 ml) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) blueberries — fresh or frozen
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (175C). Butter a non-stick 8 x 8-in. (22 cm) baking pan. Cut stale bread into cubes and set aside. Fry slices of bacon in a pan, let cool and cut into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolks, cream, butter and maple syrup. Soak cubed stale bread in egg mixture for 10-20 minutes until bread absorbs egg mixture. Fold in bacon and blueberries.
- Pour into buttered baking pan. Bake in a oven for 50-65 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
via Toronto Sun
August 29, 2012 1 Comment
August 28, 2012 No Comments
As I was perusing my nerd blogs over the weekend, I was alerted to the Crazy 4 Cult: NYC show happening now through September 1st. Upon viewing all the art in the exhibit (featuring mixed media pieces based on various cultural touchstones such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Big Lebowski, Aliens, Little Shop of Horrors, etc.) I was drawn to one specific piece…
This from Dan Goodsell, the artist responsible for Mr. Toast. Here is his character, Shaky Bacon, recreating a scene from Evil Dead II. Seriously, it’s a slice of bacon with a chain saw for a hand people!!!
Sadly, it’s sold out. But at least we have this image to share and bring joy to the world.
August 27, 2012 No Comments
Ha, see what I did there…some more, s’more? Ha!
So anyway, here’s a nice little piece from the folks at “Wait, Wait, Don’t Blog Me“. For their sandwich Monday (a favorite feature of mine) they try bacon s’mores.
One of my favorite comments:
Eva: If I was chocolate, I’d be feeling pretty resentful right now. All those years of melty work, and bacon comes along and just steals the show.
Well, everyone knows that bacon IS the chocolate of meat!
August 24, 2012 No Comments
I love me some old school ads! At one point in America, this was being pushed as a tasty and nutritious way to start the day…
Man, I miss those days!
In case you can’t make it out, let me just read the first line of the copy…
Might fine fare for fall mornings – and a perfect supper for the kids.
August 22, 2012 No Comments
What could bring me out of my morning slumber to deliver a post this early in the day?
But not just any Woot-off…it’s a Bacon Woot-off!
Yup, Woot! is saying goodbye to bacon with a two-day themed Woot-off event. So whatever you wanted last shopping season, you can get today for low, low prices.
Today and tomorrow people, so enjoy!
August 21, 2012 No Comments
August 20, 2012 No Comments
Friends, after serving as your caretaker of bacon related news and information these last few years, you can trust me when I say I have seen recipes for just about everything wrapped in our favorite meat. At least I thought that was true until today…
Seriously, how had I NOT heard about this, but I see that photo of Diet Coke with Bacon almost every week?
Simple – check
Quick – check
Tasty – oh, I think so…
I give you bacon wrapped cherries!
Bacon Wrapped Cherries
- 2 packages of Thick sliced bacon
- About 32 cherries
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- about 7 BBQ Skewers
See the step-by-step over at Instructables, thanks to crapsoup (yes, that is their handle).
August 16, 2012 No Comments
Julia Child would have been 100 years old today!
I grew up with Julia on “Good Morning America” and while watching my DVR’ed episode of “The Chew” this evening (yes, I “zoom” through it every night after “PTI“) I was reintroduced to one of her most favorite recipes – Boeuf Bourguignon!
So here’s to you Julia! Who knows where televised food shows would be today without your pioneering spirit and love for food!
- 6 ounces bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds lean stewing beef (cut into 2-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 cups full-bodied young red wine (like Chianti)
- 2-3 cups brown beef stock or canned beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 crumbled bay leaf
- 18-24 small white onions (brown-braised in stock)
- 1 pound quartered fresh mushrooms (sauteed in butter)
- parley sprigs
Head on over to “The Chew” website for the step by step!
August 15, 2012 No Comments