Better with Bacon – Bacon Barley Risotto
Another savory dish from our friends up north! This would make a great side dish for, say, a 14 oz. bacon wrapped filet?!?
Man, I just made my stomach rumble…
Check it out after the jump…
Bacon Barley Risotto
- 4 or 5 cups of chicken broth
- 4 slices bacon, thinly chopped
- 2 x onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup barley, pearl or pot
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch chives or parsley, chopped
- In one pot heat the broth to a gentle simmer.
- In another pot fry the bacon over medium-high heat, until crisp and golden brown.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and golden.
- Add the barley and stir for a few moments until well coated with bacon fat and heated through.
- Add 1 cup or so of the hot chicken broth and stir until it is fully absorbed. Continue to add broth, 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it absorb fully before adding the next ladle. Continue simmering until the barley is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in a handful of your favourite herbs.
Yield: 2 main courses, or 4 sides.